Contract Airline Services


"We are the protagonists of our stories called life, and there is no limit to how high we can fly."


PHD. MBA. MHS. Type rated on A350, A330, B777, B747-400, B747-200, B757, B767, B737, B727. International Airline Pilot / Author / Speaker. Dedicated to giving the gift of wings to anyone following their dreams. Supporting Aviation Safety through training, writing, and inspiration. Fighting for Aviation Safety and Airline Employee Advocacy. Safety Culture and SMS change agent.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Dealing With Passengers

Blogging In Formation is at it again.

This month's topic: Dealing with passengers.

How do I deal with passengers?

With courtesy and respect. I give them wings as I greet them at the door. I bring them candy canes on  Christmas. I hold babies and stow bags. I often help with boarding when the flight attendant has an issue to take care of. Yes, I take exceptional care of my passengers and have chosen a journey to make sure they will always be safe when they fly.

 WWII Vets

These people are our precious cargo. They put their lives in our hands, pay our wages and they give us their patience when we experience delays. Some give so much patience they have none left. But this is something we can all empathize with. And then there are those special guests who tweet, "Our pilot wears Victoria's Secret." How can you not love them?

Victoria's Secret Models

As a passenger myself, commuting for over twenty-years, I know how challenging the process can be. With a smile, I ask myself, "And people do this for fun?" Yes...normally I have a seat with a great view and legroom. But when I don't, I appreciate all that our passengers go through with each flight.



We never know what is going on in another person's life. They may be traveling to a funeral. Leaving home for the first time. Just lost a child. Or perhaps have a fear of flying. Compassion with a smile is the only way.

And when they are our passengers for our flying events... March 8 and 9 at the Seattle Museum of Flight! I treat them like family and make sure they are safe getting to and from their planes, and have a great time in the process.



Passengers: My favorite people!!

Sometimes you connect with that special passenger. You know, the kind of guy who has more miles than you will ever have flying. JR is such a person. An electrical engineer who has flown 2 million miles. He's been to 40 countries. His experiences are astounding, as one might imagine with that time. His first flights to Europe were in a B707!

As an avid passenger you can believe JR is keeping abreast of the issues in the industry. He asks a serious question...

"Have we crossed, or are we now in danger of crossing, the dividing line between cost savings and safety in relying too much on automation? How can future pilots maintain their skills, if when they fly everything is run by automation?...  As a very frequent passenger, this subject is something that will not leave my mind anytime soon. I only hope that the FAA/DOT and all the airlines are thinking as carefully about our future safety as Karlene is."

Our Passengers are often our greatest supporters!
How can we not love them?

To Read More From a Frequent Flyer
Go To and Follow
You won't be disappointed! 

Enjoy the Journey!!
XO Karlene

For More Blogging in Formation 
check out this lineup! 

Mar. 1: iFLYblog - Brent Owens
Aviation Author - Mark L. Berry
Mar 2: Smart Flight Training - Andrew Hartley
tallyone.com - Rob Burgon
Mar 3: Flight to Success - Karlene Petitt
project7alpha.com - Chip Shanle
Mar 4: House of Rapp - Ron Rapp
Adventures of Cap’n Aux - Eric Auxier

30 comments:

  1. Karlene,
    You must have safely delivered tens of thousands of passengers over the years. It is unique that you see them all as special - kudos to you!

    brent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brent! Yes they are special and I like to let them know.

      Delete
  2. Karlene - I'm always happy to greet the pilots either before or after a flight. You can always tell which ones really care about those of us "at the back of the bus". It's clear you take care of your passengers! I need to come ride on one of your flights! Great post, you are such a positive person. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, Yes... you do need to come and fly on one of my flights. And yes... there are a few who love those in the back of the bus. I'm on the top of the list. :) Thank you so much for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Still kind to passengers! ...a seeming 'lost grace' anymore in these automated times of pay extra for carry-on luggage, drinks & snacks! Luv ya Karlene ...the industry still needs your woman's touch! @Taxidavecom (on twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.... Thank you so much Taxidavecom! A grace we need to bring back! Thank you so much for the nice comment!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the post because I'm lazy today, but I saw the pictures and I am passing here to say that you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karlene
    You can't draw a comparison between what I do and what you and the FAs do. I just sit back and relax. You have to work, pretty much non-stop, to get us where we are going. And that's a heck of a lot harder!

    Fly safe, and enjoy an infinity of smooth landings.
    JR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I think it's so much harder being the passenger. But so glad you can sit back and relax. That's what we like you to do the best!

      Delete
  6. How can the flying public and a major airline not love a driver like Karlene? She's all business when enjoying the legroom of seat 0B, but this grandmother/writer/pilot/general contractor/painter/wife - (you get the point...) is apparently not happy until everyone in her care is comfortable. Wow.
    While Karlene has not said a lot about this recently, the first round of direct sale books went out about two weeks ago. Those of us who ordered early are savoring a pleasant, if deadly serious reading experience. Karlene's writing is focused and engaging. While **Flight for Safety** is and must be a work of fiction, it is also so much more! For anyone that cares about commercial aviation safety, this is an absolute must-read book and Karlene certainly knows the territory. A quick tip for new readers: While this second book in her planned trilogy can certainly stand on its own, readers are strongly encouraged to buy and read the first book, **Flight for Control,** first; it simply makes the story more complete. These books are truly wonderful reading. -CG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, THANK YOU so much for this incredible comment. Okay... I'm thinking a cut and paste to Amazon is in order. lol. This is exactly what I'd hoped to hear. Especially from you. Thank you so very much!!!

      Delete
  7. A quick addendum (double-dip?) if I may: These periodic Blogging in Formation posts are wonderful. They provide a slightly different take on a common subject, written by a group of accomplished writer/bloggers (usually pilots), demonstrate the depth and breadth of the folks behind these excellent blogs. In far more than a few cases, readers have been introduced to new blogs that they may not have otherwise been aware of. This alone is a wonderful thing. Thanks Karlene, Eric and colleagues. -CG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, This is great to hear. There are many things we do in life, and wonder... why? But when we get feedback like this... it reminds us why we do what we do, and it makes is all worth it. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Hmmm.. I made a comment yesterday but I guess it was never sent :)

    The core of the comment was that; Since we have such great flight crews like yourself, dedicating your lives to safe and efficient air travel, it is only the right thing to do, to award you. That's why I always keep some chocolate bars in my travel bag to hand out to cabin and flight crews :) They always appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is what I mean... the passengers of life add the sweetness to life. Thank you so much Cecilie. You are the best and I know that all the flight crews appreciate you!! Sorry for the other not coming through. I should check blogger spam folder.

      Delete
  9. I wish more airline pilots were like you! Interacting with passengers, always smiling, rolling with the inevitable punches that come with being in this business... it's a great thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ron. With extra crew members on board it does make it easier. And then when I'm commuting around I do it too. Traveling should be a great experience for all.

      Delete
  10. My first flights were on a DC-4 and a DC-2. I'm pretty sure the pilots actually flew those planes.

    In my own flying, I never even had an autopilot in my plane. I used to think it would be nice to be able to relax and let the autopilot do the flying, but at least I was keeping my skills honed all the time.

    While I'm not a frequent flyer (I hate all the airport hassle), I have pondered JR's question from time to time. Does all the automation in the cabin these days allow for keeping the pilots' skills at a high enough level?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, that is why you were a great pilot. You kept those skills up! And that airport hassle... my husband is with you on that. I try to grin and bear it. it's my job!

      Delete
  11. Karlene,

    One of the most appealing parts of my job is that my passengers don't complain when we can't find smooth air.

    But that doesn't keep us from whining up front, ha ha.

    This post reminded me of something I started doing in my other life. Exactly during the time that I am currently documenting on my site. Now I have another post to write.

    The next one will be dedicated to you,

    rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment Rob.
      I know about your passengers not complaining. I was flying with a crew out of Anchorage on the freighter. The FO was sitting quiet and then said, "You know, I could have gone to FedEx or UPS, but I wanted to fly passengers. Go figure this is the best flying in the system."
      You know, it's all good.
      One day I'll have to write about the pigs I once flew.
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  12. Yet another brilliant article.
    Great stuff Karlene,you just keep it coming & it keeps getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much John! I will keep them company!!

      Delete
  13. First, sorry for my English, start studying soon.
    I love your blog, you have very interesting notes.
    I love that all airlines have a pilot like you. You're a nice person.
    My dream is to be cabin crew, and fly all over the world, meet aviation deep feeling in my heart wings.
    Congratulations for your work, I would very much welcome your advice to succeed in my dream.
    Thanks, greetings from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the beautiful comment Andrea. Your English is great! The best thing you can do is decide which airlines you would like to work for, then contact them to find the requirements. I know you will reach your dreams and one day I will be traveling on your plane. Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. I can not believe you answered my comment, I'm really happy. You are an inspiration for all women who wish to fly, I know.
      Thanks Karlene, I follow you on twitter, I like your posts.
      I would be happy to realize my dream, and someday you travel in one of the planes I want to work.
      Many more successes! With love from Argentina.

      Delete
    3. Of course Andrea! Thank you so much. You have to look at today's post and then the facebook pages. We gave 224 girls free flights!
      Keep that dream alive!

      Delete
  14. Being a Victoria's Secret Model must be "not fun"
    sometimes! But, they keep smiling. :)
    ____________________

    Could you tell, by their questions, if anyone of
    them might have an aptitude for flying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... they all thought it was cool there was a woman pilot. But, I suspect they are getting paid too much for the fun life they are living.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If your comment doesn't appear immediately, it will after I land. Enjoy the journey!